Friday, February 22, 2008

Cold Weather Car Trouble

I seem to have all the luck when it comes to weird car trouble in the winter.

Yesterday evening, Ben and I got in the car to go somewhere and my passenger side door opened fine, but then I couldn't get it closed. It wasn't frozen or anything, it just wouldn't latch. Great...so it's snowing, freezing cold (was that redundant?), and of course, too dark to figure out what was going on. So, what do we do? We decide that we should drive to a friend's house who has a garage. I have to hold the door shut, but every bump we hit our dome light comes on and the car beeps at us for having the door open. Plus around every corner I had to get a death grip on the door just to keep it from flying open. Really, I think we must have looked completely ridiculous. Thankfully, our friends, Todd and Lisa, have a nice big garage so we could get out of the cold and snow and look at the door in the light. Todd just played around with the latch for us and it seems to be working now! Yay! I was starting to wonder what the heck we were going to do with a car whose door wouldn't close.

After we got our little problem fixed yesterday I started thinking about other things that have happened to my car in the winter.
I remember in high school my front windshield was frosted over one morning and I got the bright idea to use some of that de-icer that comes in a can. I sprayed it all over my front windshield and got in my car to drive to school. Well, turns out that it had fogged up the glass so badly that I couldn't see a thing. So, I got to drive the mile or so to school that morning with my head hanging out my window! Boy, was I ever cold when I got there. I thought my face would freeze off!
The other story I can recall also happened during my high school years. We had a big snowstorm and school was canceled for the day. I don't remember why I felt the need to go somewhere that day, but I did. As my luck would have it, I got my car stuck in the alley behind our house in all the snow. My Dad tells me that we just need a little weight in the back end to give the car more traction. And, what do you think his idea for more weight was? That's right....ME--I'm the extra weight! He had me crawl into the trunk and lay in there holding the trunk lid open. Fortunately, it worked and we did get out of the alley, but instead of going straight back home, he decides we might as well warm up the car while we are out. So, I'm laying in the trunk with snowing falling while my Dad drives around the neighborhood. The next day one of my classmates finds me and asks what I was doing in the trunk of my car! Seriously....how embarrassing!

So, it seems to me like I have an unusual amount of strange car trouble in the cold weather. Do these things happen to anyone else??

1 comment:

Lauren said...

Just think it will be warm soon--- at least I hope. Glad to hear the door is closing again!