Monday, April 7, 2008
When did this happen to me?
When do people get old? I mean, does it happen slowly over time so you didn't really notice it creeping up on you. Or does it kind of hit you suddenly, like a ton of bricks? I'm not really sure, but I think I have noticed a few things here and there--I certainly can't take those amusement park rides like I used to and I definitely go to bed earlier than I did, even just a few years ago. But, yesterday my age really hit me--hard! We have such a small kitchen that I have to store many of our larger kitchen things on top of our cabinets. I grabbed one of our kitchen chairs and hopped up to put away our stand mixer. I have no idea what happened next; somehow the chair slipped out from under me and I fell backwards into the side of our oven. I didn't go down all the way...the oven saved me from the floor. But man, was I ever sore after that one. My back aches like crazy! I know, I know....I should have gone the extra 10 steps to the closet where I keep our step stool that has the no slip grips, and believe me...next time, I will not be so lazy! But, my point is this: I am positive this little fall wouldn't have fazed me in the slightest a couple of years ago, but now....well, what can I say...I guess I turned old when I wasn't paying attention! When did this happen??
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
Oh Lou! I'm so glad you're okay! That question, "when do people get old" has really been weighing on me lately. I know exactly what you mean. Jason sent me hunting for some spare lightbulbs that he thought were up in a top cabinet. I hopped up on the washing machine,instead of getting the step stool...I was lucky enough not to fall coming down but getting down was a lot more difficult than it once was. I remember leaping down from the kichen counter at home with NO PROBLEM. And riding Teddy this weekend. There was a time (doesn't feel so long ago) I would take him out into the field and let him RUN. Now I'm perfectly happy to walk, trot and a little canter. No galloping please...
I keep telling Larry to keep his "old" comments to himself. If he is old, that means I am a mere 10 months behind him, and I am not willing to concede! I, too, used to do roller-coasters, the Salt-and Pepper Shakers, and the Octopus, and now I can hardly stand to look at them! The part of me that feels "old" are the bottoms of my feet after I stand up after a rest. Yowch! You are not old; just ask someone with almost twice as many years! To be 26 again...!
I totally hear ya Lac! I had to move my washer this weekend...don't ask...anyways I think I pulled something!!! My "old" hips hurt! Ha! I really hurt after a long day at work, too!
My grandma celebrated her 75th B-day on Sunday and she said it best..."my golden years are over!"
If you are old than I'm ancient.....
Post a Comment